Last week, we looked at why it’s important to plan for the new year. Setting goals for the new year will give you a sense of purpose; it will help you focus and direct your limited time and energy towards what’s really important; and it will motivate and energise you to achieve something that is truly meaningful to you.
This week, we’ll give you the chance to do just that, and plan for a successful 2019.
I left my corporate job in 2013, and I’ve been reimagining ‘success’ ever since. And what is ‘success’? Well, it’s really just the achievement of an aim or a purpose – which means that you have to decide on what that aim or purpose is!
Discover the 5Ls model to help you think more broadly about success
In my experience - from my own life and from working with clients over the years - there are five key areas in our lives that need to be balanced in order for us to thrive and live a truly successful life in a more whole and holistic sense: LIVE - Wellness & Wellbeing; LOVE - Relationships & Romance; LEARN - Development & Growth; LEAD - Career & Impact; and LAUGH - Fun & Spontaneity.
That means stripping away the ‘shoulds’ of what you think other people expect you to do and getting clear on what’s really important to you.
It means moving beyond the narrow focus of the work domain and away from the classic career path of linear progression up the corporate ladder.
It means considering everything that’s important to you, everything that you have ever wanted, and everything that would make you happy and fulfilled.
My approach to new year’s planning
As we established last week, New Year’s resolutions are not particularly effective when it comes to planning and achieving goals.
Instead, here’s what I like to do at the end of each year:
- Review the previous year – what worked well, what didn’t, what was missing and what you want more of in the coming year
- Use the 5Ls model to review different areas of your life – your wellness and wellbeing, relationships and romance, learning and development, career and impact, and fun and spontaneity
- Come up with an overall theme – the north star that will point you in the right direction without being too restrictive
- Define specific objectives – meaningful goals with a clear understanding of why they are important to you
- Include a ‘bucket list’ goal – add a bit of a wild card that will mix it up and keep things interesting
Join me as we plan for 2019
Just as we did last year, we’ll be running a FREE workshop session this year to take you by the hand through this whole process.
To make it super easy for you, this is a recorded webinar and you can pick from plenty of dates and times to fit your schedule, throughout the month of December. So, no excuses! Let’s get planning.
To follow along with me in an interactive session, join me in my annual Reimagining Success webinar! Sign up to the webinar here >>